Friday, March 30, 2012

How can I restore a SQL 2005 database on my SQL 2000?

My customer has SQL Server 2005. I have SQL Server 2000 on my laptop (on XP Pro). I believe I have an empty database the same as theirs, but I need to restore their data. They sent me a normal SQL Backup, but my laptop threw a fit and cannot work with it.

They are now trying to export the database to Microsoft Access and send me that, but I won't get that until next week now. However is there a better and easier solution for those of us with insufficient experience of this, please?

Many thanks,
CasparThere is no way to restore SQL 2005 backup on SQL 2000.

Easiest way in this case is - install Express Edition of SQL 2005, restore your backup there and then import it to SQL 2000.|||Or you might consider skipping the import to SQL 2000, and just work on it using SQL 2005 Express on your laptop.

-PatP|||Thank you so much for this advice. I am in the process of trying it, having found downloads at: http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/sql/download/ where I am offered 2 choices - I have chosen the left-hand pair of files for a simpler setup.

If I am successful in restoring the database to this then if I do decided I want to import it into SQL 2000 then how to I go about that, please?

Many thanks,
Caspar

No comments:

Post a Comment